Sunday, November 21, 2010

Boiled Peanuts and Boiled Okra

I did tell you we'd discuss these items on another day...
I may be from the south, and I may love southern cooking,
but that means the fried stuff.
I can take a little boiled okra in a large pot of vegetable soup.
That is basically the only way I'd ever eat it, and it won't be a lot
of it that way.  I don't know how it tastes, I can't get past the slime
to even try it.  Everyone says to just put it in your mouth, and it will
slide down, no chewing required.  No thanks, I'll pass, I'm not hungry.
It doesn't matter if  I haven't had food in days, I AM NOT hungry.

Boiled Peanuts, they don't serve them here, but a few years ago, I went to Alabama with my hubby, to deliver a load to a steel mill, and we got stuck there for a couple of days.  We were on foot, basically, because you don't tool around in an 18 wheeler, just to sight see.  The dispatcher loaned us his pickup
to go out to eat. We found a motel a few blocks down, and took the pickup back,
and walked to the motel.  We stopped at a little store for some snacks, and
they had a fresh crop of boiled peanuts.  Now I like peanuts about any way you can serve them.
So hubby bought me a big bag and I proceeded to give them a try as we walked on down
toward the motel.    Lets just say that neither of us were too impressed, and whoever cleaned
the room the next morning found a nearly full bag of boiled peanutss as part of their 'tip'.
I hope they liked them a lot more than we did.

2 comments:

  1. Yep-Okra is not for me either-although my daughter loves it deep fried. And boiled peanuts are not on my top list of delicacies although I can down them. However, one of my favorite "suthern thangs" was a bag os salted peanuts dropped into a RC cola. lol...don't knock it til you've tried it! hugs-Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right, salted peanuts in a coke are one of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete